Saturday, April 7, 2018

So You Wanna Be A Product Reviewer, Part Deux: Tayè's Faves and Fumbles

Namastè!

Last post, I was spilling the goods about being a product reviewer. This time, I'll be lacing you up about influencer programs I am or was a part of and why I love or don't love them.

If you're like me, you enjoy sharing info about products and services, gizmos and gadgets--you like being an influencer! But you're not always sure which route to take. There are LOTS of influencer platforms, and you don't know where to start. Do you qualify for this? Do you need a huge following for that?

I'm a member of several influencer platforms, and I have some spare time today to dish about them.  Here are ones I like best, along with ones I failed miserably at.

Don't forget: Anytime you have a question about a blog post, you can drop me a message (and a like--don't just hop in my inbox without showing some love), on my FB! No FB? Find--and FOLLOW--me on the Insta. (Again, don't just drop in my DMs without a follow, sheesh.)

🏆 Product Report Card

Sign up at: ProductReportCard.com

Type: Survey-based influencer program with paid in-home product tests, online focus groups, and shopping missions.

Benefits: Pays cash via gift cards, PayPal, or check. (Must accrue $25 to cash out.) Even if you take the survey and are not selected to proceed further, you receive 0.10 for your time.

Pros: Everything is paid. The in-home product tests feature full size products--often complete product lines, for example shampoo and conditioner, or a mixer and attachments. There is live customer care, an actual phone number, and the representatives regularly (and generally, fairly quickly) answer emails. Your activity within the site determines how many opportunities you get, and how big they are--register your products and take surveys as often as possible to land the big fish! The surveys are not long and do not collect your email. PRC does not share your information with other companies, and you will only receive invites to surveys from PRC, not 50 million other sites. Once rewards move from pending to available, you can generally get your cash the same day if via PayPal or eGift card.

Cons: It's survey based--if you do not like surveys or are lazy about turning in feedback, this won't be a good fit. Rewards can take a while to move from pending status to available. If PayPal and gift card processing is down, the paper check can take up to 14 business days to arrive. You will likely receive many small opportunities before the big ones roll in. It can be frustrating to receive dime after dime when you don't qualify for surveys. (They are double blind--PRC does not release your info to any company, and they don't receive detailed information about the survey stipulations, therefore they cannot guarantee you a spot.) Even if you qualify for the full survey, you may not get into the study, shopping mission, or in-home product tests.

Bottom Line? I have been a part of PRC since 2016 and have made $600 or so. I like the different ways to participate--you can earn money by registering things you already own, by in-home product tests, by shopping missions, or by research surveys. The surveys pay anywhere from 0.50 to 25.00! (I live with a toddler, so on any given day I answering questions, many times, for free.) I recommend this platform to anyone who likes earning a little coinage for very little work.

🏆 HouseParty

Sign up at: HouseParty.fun

Type: An influencer program based on house parties. Remember those Tupperware parties? HouseParty is those, but with a huge variety of fun items ranging from food and drinks to gadgets to alcohol to cleaning products.

Pros: HouseParty has a program for every niche. The sample packs include a generous amount of product for your guests, plus some epic branded swag for the host/hostess too. (High-value coupons, tee shirts, cups, cozies, you name it.) You don't need huge social media followings to qualify. While none of the gigs are paid, you receive valuable items and coupons. If you are active, you'll always know about the upcoming party opportunities. The parties are typically first come, first serve basis; if you know first, you get to go first.

Cons: The mobile app is pointless outside doing the activities prior to/related to hosting a party--you can only see the available parties but must log in to the full site to apply. The mobile site is buggy also--it often requests a password reset. Like, repeatedly. And logging in is difficult. You'll end up resetting your password several times because the mobile site glitches.

Bottom line? Despite this site working best via computer (which I rarely have time to use), I like HouseParty a LOT. I have done a few parties with them and my guests always love the products and games. I love the thoughtful branded swag--they don't give out just any old thing. I'm looking forward to doing more events with them--and hoping they get their mobile interface and app together so I can participate even more.

🏆 Moms Meet

Sign up at: momsmeet.com

Type: An influencer program for moms who favor a healthier, more nature-based lifestyle.

Pros: Everything about MomsMeet is a plus, from my personal experience. High-quality products, high-value coupons, and easy qualification to receive said coupons and products. You can participate three ways: group (for the social butterly party mavens), blogger line (obvious), or the express program (you sample an item on your own and give feedback via survey on MomsMeet.com).

Cons: Programs fill up super fast. Sometimes the "you've got in" email will arrive on the same day as your package, so stay ready. Bigger demo ops almost ALWAYS go to those with bigger followings.

Bottom line? I totally like Moms Meet. I've discovered some new staples and gotten to test new varieties of old favorites. Because I'm a green mama, I like their focus on enviromentally-responsible, ethically-sourcing, and fair-trade practicing companies.

🏆 MomSelect

Sign up at: MomSelect.com

Type: An approval-based influencer platform for moms.

Pros: It was fairly easy to be approved--I did the application on a Monday and had an acceptance email by Wednesday. Via MomSelect I got into the Chick-fil-A Moms Panel--which is pretty epic considering how much I love Chick-fil-A. They don't send a ton of emails. The opportunities are geared toward moms, so you can safely expect lots of baby and kid gear and fun products for moms and kids alike.

Cons: I have been a member of MomSelect for over a year now and I still don't quite understand how it works. The opportunities appear to be awarded based on social media follows and/or location. Moms in major cities with large follow counts get car seat programs and event opportunities, whereas if you are rural or have a small fanbase, you get restaurants. While I do enjoy the Chick-fil-A panel, I'm not sure what our purpose is--there is an FB group but it's generally just moms loving or complaining about their local Chick-fil-A, or suggesting 5-star menu items for a place thats a casual dining joint at best. There are no definite benefits, because every restaurant has different parameters about community engagement. I will be able to do a lot more at home versus in Albany, where community engagement is scarce and everything is bound around sales only.

Bottom line? I can't offer a concrete analysis of MomSelect, as I don't know exactly how beneficial it can be. I either have to grow exponentially or move to a huge city--and neither of those are happening. I dig my Chick-fil-A panel membership--but I'm not sure that's enough to sway my opinion on MomSelect. I need more time to investigate.

🏆 Tomoson

Sign up at: Tomoson.com

Type: Influencer platform with both paid and for-product-only opportunities.

Pros: Anyone can join! Programs are awarded two ways: you contact the sellers OR the sellers contact you. Wide variety of items and services available. Includes content for YouTube afficionados--paid unoxing and demo programs. You can receive a digest daily with your offers, updates on your requests, and ops that fit your profile.

Cons: You need Amazon PRIME for some programs. Because it's an influencer platform, those with small followings and engagement scores may be overlooked for everything but the smallest ops. Companies are slow to respond. Spam offers exist. Be wary of anyone who offers to refund you product cost versus offering a discount or free item--they may conveniently disappear when it's time to refund your money!

Bottom line? Tomoson is not my favorite, because it's so tedious. I'm fine with applying for an op, but I'm not fine with not having control over which companies can contact my profile. It's also annoying that they system doesn't update. My stats have to be refreshed each time, because it still shows me with 12 FB likes and 4 IG follows.

...

If you like a more straightforward program, check these out!

BzzAgent

Sign up at: BzzAgent.com

BzzAgent is another survey-based influencer program with in-home product tests. The more surveys you complete, the higher your BzzScore. Keep your score high and you'll get the bigger product tests--instead of coupons for a discounted Barbie, you might get her dream house!

Pros: Free full-size products. Easy qualification. No excess emails. Anyone can join! Social media isn't required, but it definitely helps--and you don't need a massive following! Surveys are separated into two categories: qualifier surveys and general interest surveys--you know exactly which ones will put you in the running for a sample op versus which ones will simply raise your BzzScore.

Cons: They don't update you about new surveys--you must log in. BzzScore can be raised easily by surveys, but it's unclear how they drop. BzzScore drops a lot more quickly than it raises.

Bottom line? I like it. In fact, I am awaiting a BzzKit now. *squeal*

Smiley360

Sign up at: smiley360.com

Type: Sampling program, survey-based.

Pros: Sometimes you get full-size product samples, which is really cool. Each Smiley pack (as I call them) comes pretty quickly too, no waiting for weeks or months. You can do more than one mission at a time, too.

Cons: I can't really think of any, except that the missions fill up super quickly. Also, you won't receive tracking info so every package WILL be a surprise!

Bottom line? Give this one a whirl if you want minimal surveys (theirs are very short and to the point) but maximum sample ops! You never know what missions they will offer next, and they have a wide range of offerings. I've even done a crafting mission with them for Valentine's Day.

🏆 PINCHme

Sign up at: Pinchme.com

Type: Sampling program

Pros: Little to no surveys. You can select up to six samples for each PINCHme box. Also includes free magazine subscriptions as well as discounts via sponsored offers from their partners. The new program awards tokens, which puts you in the running for the elusive, exclusive DELUXE PINCHme box, which is packed to the gills with full-size samples. The regular PINCHme samples are great for travel or padding gift baskets.

Cons: Takes forever to receive a PINCHme box. Sample Tuesday is forever "sold out"--it's first come, first serve, but they don't have nearly as many samples as participants. Some Pinchers get a box each offering, while many end up only occasionally lucking out. Plus, you're going through all this racing against the clock for little bitty samples and coupons no more valuable than the ones in your Sunday paper. Even if you are granted an early RSVP to the sampling events, so were thousands of others. They demand near-immediate feedback, even when the samples haven't arrived. (Notoriously slow shipping.)

Bottom line: I have basically phased out my PINCHme participation. I almost feel like I'm taking up unnecessary space in their roster, because I'm not excited about the program like when I joined. I don't request PINCHme boxes most offerings because they take two or three months to arrive. I also don't like the pressure for feedback--I'm an avid reviewer, never late.

...

I hope that amazing mouthful was helpful!

While you cannot base your opinions solely on my experiences (at least, I hope not--my "no thank you" might be your "yes heavens!!!"), you can use the information to decide if you'd like to experiment a little further.

I recommend each of these for anyone trying to find their influencer program niche, because each of them has something--whether it's easy approval, limited surveys, or great additional perks. Even the ones I don't like for myself, might work out seemingly for one of you.

Namastè!

-- Tayè K. ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment