Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Why I DON'T Want to Know Your Stance On...

Circumcision.

I don't want to know what decision you've made about your son's anatomy. I don't want to discuss why you did it. I don't even care, because it's your son, not mine.

By the same token, I won't be engaging any conversation about my own kid in that regard.

I do have opinions and such. It's almost impossible not to! I read the pamphlets and brochures and talked to the pediatricians. It's all over every mommy message board and group, and discussed at play group with the same casual segues as current gossip.

...can we say, "Weird as shit?"

(I don't apologize for cuss words. Judging me for the occasional emergency word says more about you than it does about me.)

I discuss coffee. I discuss potty training. I discuss breastfeeding. I discuss food--all the foods, yums. But I don't discuss my son's penis. I don't compare it to other babies' penises. That would be creepy at best and pedophilic at worse, and that's exactly how those conversations and arguments ring as far as my opinion goes.

I don't get why it's cool to discuss something that personal. It isn't even your body, it's your kid's! You're literally posting (and probably arguing) with total strangers about why you like a mushroom or a turtleneck. Doesn't it feel kinda awkward to discuss your kid's penis anyway? In most forums I've seen, the majority of the ones speaking won't even refer to it by its actual name.

It isn't a peen. It isn't a whacker. It's a PENIS.

UGH.

Do it or don't, that's fine either way. (I wouldn't dare judge you. Especially since I won't let you tell me anyway. *chuckles*) But the need to trumpet it is just creepy to me.

But an online forum isn't the best place to get help making a decision like that. And most people share their stories to sway you their way.

Just ask a nurse or pediatrician, WELL BEFORE DELIVERY, and weigh your options.

No comments:

Post a Comment