Friday, February 9, 2018

Don't Be So Quick to Tylenol that Fever...

Namastè!

On the topic of flu and colds, we can't ignore the elephant in the room.

Fever.

We watch those thermometers like mama and papa hawks. Anything over 98.6 must be dealt with, right?

Well, no.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics...

Because a fever is the body's defense, and how it inactivates viruses, it is fine to NOT grab the Tylenol and Motrin immediately. When we inhibit this defense mechanism, we actually worsen/lengthen illnesses.

(You can check my facts here.)

NOTE: It's important to regard the actual thresholds for each age group, and note any additional conditions or health constraints your child may have, when deciding how to proceed with any medical treatment.

Many times, we think of the fever itself as an illness.

It isn't. It's a symptom, a cue that we feel, which lets us know something is amiss. Kinda like the body's AHA! moment where it mounts a higher defense against the bacteria or virus.

Unless my kids are unusually lethargic (read: not playing or doing their usual activities), I don't treat their fevers. I watch them and keep a close check on their temps, but I don't immediately grab meds.

What do I do?

👑 Keep them hydrated. Popsicles, fruit juice, breastmilk (for the tinies), and good old cold water are top choices. I also like to give them chunks of cucumber, because it is cooling. We also keep Gatorade on hand. (They only drink the lemon-lime.)

👑 Keep them comfortable. I set the thermostat on 70, and let them wander around in a very light layer of clothing. Or just a diaper for the smallest.

👑 Keep them under observation. While I don't grab meds at the first sign of an elevated temp, I do keep check on it. I try to take their temps ever hour or so while awake, and every couple hours as they sleep.

👑 Keep simple foods on hand. My kids aren't the best eaters when they're ill (typical of most kids, I imagine) so we generally have soup and crackers. They love homemade chicken noodle with Goldfish crackers, rasam (which is essentially tamarind soup) with chapatis (essentially, Indian pancakes.), and miso. These options are nutritious and filling, yet easy on the tummy.

👑 Keep them rested! I encourage naps and calm activities, because resting is necessary for healing. When they're under the weather, I read to them more often and cuddle for more movie time.

NOTE: Any time you feel a stronger option or more in-depth care is warranted, call your pediatrician. Don't take just my word. Urgent care and emergency care exist to help manage symptoms we aren't comfortable treating without a doctor or nurse to guide us.

Wouldn't it be easier to just give them meds?

Possibly.

But if we take away the defense in the name of quick comfort, we risk far more discomfort later when the illness lingers.

Also, like most medications, fever meds have effects. They make kids fussy and sleepy, and can disrupt their eating. Some children are allergic. (For example, I am allergic to aspirin.)

Aspirin (think Baby Bayer) has a risk of Reye Syndrome. Acetaminophen  (good old Tylenol) carries the potential to damage one's liver. Ibuprofen (hello, Motrin) can damage your stomach and intestines.

Would cycling the meds eliminate the risks?

Yes...and trade the inherent risks for one more huge one: accidental overdose.

The theory behind cycling meds is noble. It's done to avoid maxing out on one particular medication while still getting the benefit. In this case, reduction/alleviation of fever. However, cycling must be done carefully and under the watch of a pediatrician, because it is easier than you think for a baby, toddler, or child to get too much medicine, quickly.

There are no risks involved with the steps I mentioned taking BEFORE resorting to meds, though.

Now...before anyone accuses me of being anti-medicine (you would be correct, as I avoid as much pharmaceutical treatment as is safely possible) or anti-doctor (you would be wrong, as I'm far from that but very pro common sense also) hear me out ...

I believe in as much comfort as possible. I wouldn't recommend for your children anything I haven't successfully done for my own. Research backs me on this. The American Academy of Pediatrics backs me. So I feel confident in sharing it.

I'm fully on-board with meds when no other remedies have worked, or if my kids are in pain or distress. I just don't grab the first aid kit at the first sign of a little something. (A big something is an entirely different case.) Part of today's immunity crisis is due to overmedication and hyper zealous "management" of the body's natural defense. If you never successfully slay a dragon, you'll never learn what works. If you never BUILD an immune defense, what are you to use against a common illness, your charm and wit?

Trust me, throwing well-timed jabs at a cold doesn't work. I am or may not have tried it. *chuckle *

...

Namastè!

-- Tayé K. 👑

No comments:

Post a Comment