Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Ks Take NYC, Episode 1: 10Below Ice Cream

Namastè!

I hope you're experiencing copious amounts thereof this week. We are in NYC visiting and seeing the things, and I ticked a super cool item off my bucket list.

As you know, I am a dessert afficionado. (It's hard not to be when my go-to meal is an Ensure shake--generously appointed with ice cream and toppings, because a girl has to keep her weight by whatever means necessary!) My favorite is cake and ice cream.
So...I set out to find the most unique ice cream dish in NYC. I wanted something tasty, unique, and customized. I tucked into my research and discovered a trendy food called rolled ice cream. I hadn't heard of it before. I looked on Instagram and as soon as I got an eyeful of the yumminess that is rolled ice cream, I needed it. In typical me fashion, I wanted this to be an experience. (I have had a rash of great days lately, so I've been trying to do and experience more while my anxiety is on the wane.) I wanted to go to the first, the best, AND the most popular.

That could ONLY be 10Below.

Note: Thanks to Richard Tam, the owner and co-founder of 10Below, for making our visit so special! Thanks to Max and Austin for taking the time to answer our questions as well as make such amazing treats for us.

I contacted the store to see if they gave tours, because how cool would it be to actually see in-depth, behind the scenes what happens there?!

I wasn't expecting much, but boy was I blown away when I received the email from Mr. Tam! Not only could we have a gander at the inside operations--they would open the store an hour early just for my family, so we could get in and out before the line wrapped around Mott and Canal Streets.

Off we went, navigating and eyeballing our way to 10 Mott Street. I may or may not have bought a scarf, a bus (relax--it's a toy for my little guy), and some key chains along the trek.

We saw this cute mural in the midst of our meandering.



The shop itself is unassuming, tucked below the busy sidewalk on Mott Street, which intersects the major vessel Canal Street in Chinatown, NYC. (Lower Manhattan.) You could easily walk past it off-peak...but that line stretching back to Canal Street lets you know something very special is happening in this little shop of wonders.

Inside the shop is really chill, cool. (No pun intended--or maybe!) It has got a nice vibe--grey decor, very minimalist. They have over half of their floor space clear, so people can watch and take photos and video of the process...which Max and Austin have down to a 2-minute science! It's an Instagram and blog dream spot.




Also, they have a really cool mural for people to pose in front of. The shop mascot is a whale!



Brass tacks. (Well, more. This is good, I promise!)
So what's so special about this place called 10Below?

Everything.

Since 2015, 10Below has brought delicious, fresh, (as in, made to order, preservative and add-in free!!!) rolled ice cream to NYC. Their inaugural location is at 10 Mott Street, Chinatown. That's why I was so keen to go there.

What's rolled ice cream, anyway?

Rolled ice cream is a Thai treat that involves super-chilling cream and other mix-ins on a plate. Not just any plate--the plates used in 10Below are chilled to 10° below zero, or colder. The cream base is poured onto the plate and smoothed until it freezes into ice cream. Then the artists (that's the closest word I can conjure for Max and Austin...they make it look soooo easy!) shave the super-chilled ice cream from the plate. The technique causes the ice cream to roll, like little taquitos!

This is the plate, all chilled and ready for ice cream rolling..



They have 8 pre-made combinations. (You can also freestyle and customize your own...but these 8 are nothing to shake a stick at.) The names are pretty cool too.



1. Honey Boo Boo
2. Monkey Business
3. Strawberry Shawty
4. Cookie Monster
5. Ain't Got no Thai Fo Dat
6. S'mores Galores
7. Fruity Bam-bam
8. Matcha Made in Heaven


There is an absolute plethora of toppings available, and they're unlimited. So...for a max of $7.50, you can have a one of a kind dessert. (The cups are $7, for .50 more you can have a waffle cone. We were touring, with a 2-year-old, so we got cups.)

I opted for the S'mores Galore. It is graham cracker ice cream rolls with chocolate, topped with granola, whipped cream, coconut, chocolate drizzle, and sprinkles.



Princess, always dainty, opted for the Strawberry Shawty--strawberry ice cream rolls topped with whipped cream, bananas, and fresh cut strawberries.



Our little cereal lover, Brother Bear, got the Fruity Bam-bam. It's a crazy mix of Fruity Pebbles ice cream rolls, and he chose blueberries, strawberries, bananas,  and whipped cream. I had a little taste of the ice cream and I know what I'm getting next time!



...my kids go to an ice cream shop and get FRUIT?! (Inside I am glowing...although I totally wouldn't fuss if they wanted candies and cookies.)



The ice cream itself is literally made right before your eyes. I imagine it's akin to flash freezing. The process makes for the creamiest, smoothest ice cream I ever tasted, y'all.

They don't skimp on quality at all--the toppings provided for that incredible ice cream are all top notch as well. The fruits in particular are mega fresh--I had a few blueberries and they were as sweet and juicy as if they'd just been picked, right at the peak of freshness.



If you happen to be in Manhattan, or in NYC at all, don't skip this hidden gem. Go in and treat yourself. Take some pics. Grab a couple stickers! And a spoon.




We are definitely fans. I will be bringing Family Namastè back to see Max and Austin, and to get a taste of the other flavor combos on that menu!

Namastè!

-- Tayè K.


No comments:

Post a Comment