Sunday, September 23, 2018

Mom'fessions: Things I'm Tired of That I Smile Thru Anyway

It seems like moms, SAHM/WAHMs in particular, always get the shaft, man.

Now...before I dig in, understand the following:

1. My thoughts might not mirror yours.
2. My experiences might not mirror yours.
3. It takes a dry kind of humor to get me, and it's fine if you don't have it--but there's no need to announce it because just as my humor is dry, my give a flip is busted. *shrugs*

That being cleared...

I don't scoff at the privilege of being a WAHM mom. It's allowed me tge opportunity to be with my kids while still contributing to the household as well as having a corner of the day for just me.

Never underestimate that--you need it like a fish needs gills. That time to yourself is crucial because no matter how much you adore your kids or how "goals" you and your hubby are, it will all drive you batspit insane if you can't have a momentary breather. Don't argue--even June Cleaver and Clair Huxtable had their escapes.

What I do scoff at is the need, or perceived need, to be constantly on. The kids need me. Hubby needs me. The grass needs me. I'm a walking rolodex of appointments, phone numbers, and account stats. I'm the sole finder of things and organizer of lives. I handle, fix, and care for/about EVERYTHING.

I generally dig it.

But because I'm a sparky little human, I still have my moments where I want (read: need) to not be any of those things. Moments where my kids' latest masterpiece isn't even one radar. Moments where if I hear one more "Mom, look!" I'll lose my shkit and refuse to look for it!

In no particular order, here are the the things I'm most aggravated by, that I smile through anyway. *chuckle*

(NO, I don't martyr myself--I just know all of this is fleeting and time waits for no one. In a few years I'll miss having a baby on my lap or a toddler whose world rests on my approval and engagement.)

Anyhoo...

The 500th artistic masterpiece. The previous 499 look exactly the same, dear one. But I love them because I love you.

The 928th attempt at a joke. That fire truck joke is still not funny to me...but I will still listen because you're still my little star.

The fifty-leventh "Look, mom." No, I didn't miss it. How could I? You've only shoved it in my face, obscuring my view of anything else.

The "I can't find its." No, I don't now where your *insert missing item* is. But I do know that standing there in the middle of the room with a contemplative look on your sweet face, won't find it.

Being the sole provider of *insert pressing need* Dad is home too, kiddos, and he's perfectly capable and willing to make your snack/give you juice/play a game or 50. He enjoys it! You should really give him a shot...

...

As families go, mine is pretty cool. My kids aren't nearly as daredevil-y as I was, and they're actually a lot calmer than I ever was also. I enjoy my days with them...

...I just know the value of a little time here or there with myself. That's why I stopped pushing myself to be always on.

Now I'm just as off as everyone else. Makes for some hilarious conversations, memories, and pics which won't ever see the light of day.


No comments:

Post a Comment