Monday, August 12, 2019

Pages and Pickles

As you possibly know (depending on how active you are on my FB--I don't pay for views so their algorithms are quite likely choking my visibility right on out), I am finally plugging away at this book!

Crunching my pickles and writing. (Well, revising now.)

I can gloss over how glorious the process has been (I love writing) and how much fun it's been (I truly am enjoying it) AND I can even tell you I believe it will do well (I do)...

Or I can be frank.

It is a major goal of mine. Also I'm scared shitless! When I take on a new project and its success boils down to other people embracing it, I get real angsty about the whole deal. I can put out the best book of 2019 and on the shelf it will sit if it isn't riveting enough.

This book is like my newest baby.

I'm preparing it and also me for the first day of high school and must prepare it (and mostly myself) for the various people it will encounter, its classmates!

The Principal wants to know why it's late (why didn't I write this sooner) and reminds us of the Code of Conduct (i.e. that I must do my best and work hard on it whether it's ever noticed or not.)

The Counselor keeps it sane and provises a safe place to vent if needed.

The Teachers, those wonderful ones who will help develop it and push it to become its best, are waiting with homework and essays.

The Besties will meet it where it's at and embrace it no matter what--they will support it and love it even if it is a little crazy.

The Newbies don't know me or the book from a hill of beans but they see me and raise me one, "Nice words and paper!" I can't wait to meet my newbies.

The Meanies are gonna attack or ignore it no matter how good it is. Ain't any pleasing them. Also they don't like its cover.

The Climbers are gonna tough for me--they will wait to see if it does well before embracing it. And they only want to be involved if it is popular. When it becomes a thing, they'll pop out of nowhere with the hidden admiration and how they knew it would be great way back when.

The It Crowd is gonna make sure that it knows it doesn't belong, and will do their best to keep it in its place--which in their eyes means to keep it far away from relevance.

...

See? I have a knack for this word weaving thing.

I just have to get over my nerves and hangups. After all, I can't publish it if I'm terrified to hit send.

The biggest part that makes me nervous is doing this after five years of wanting to (and waiting for the thing that would spark my interest enough to go 100% with it), but that's also the part that makes me proudest. I have been studying the legal aspects and I dug into all sides of the fence before choosing the route I believe is best for this, for me. I have an editor and a legal team. I have test readers for when the time comes. (About a month before it goes all the way live, my testers will have reviewed it.)

I think oa most nervous about how it'll be received. My family (hubby and the three bears) are all convinced I'll be doing book signings and tours within months. While that's an amazing dream, I will be happy seeing it finished and being able to show the kids what can happen when you work hard toward a goal.

I am so ready!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment