Monday, March 6, 2017

Fit Tayè!

Namastè!

On the heels of my baby turning one, I have a goal to accomplish. I wanna share it. I believe talking about goals makes one a little more accountable, provided it's the correct audience and the proper setting. I feel most accountable for certain mom goals when I share them with you, as most of you are moms and dads. (No matter if biological or legal or simply implied by your caring actions--you are parents, and that means we walk the same path!!!)

It's time to get fit.

I have long since lost the baby weight. Breastfeeding  (and my once-rigid pump routine) made that a cake walk. However...

When I was pregnant, I did not have an easy ride. Hyperemesis gravidarium robbed me of the energy to enjoy many things. Contrary to popular belief, it's not just morning sickness, nor is it something "just in a woman's head." Remedies like ginger ale or crackers don't work. Nor do the negative statements and scare tactics people hurl at women who decide medication is their best avenue to relief. It's a horribly uncomfortable situation at best, and at worst it can land you in the hospital for IV fluids and nutrition (as was my case, several times).

Naturally, I cherished each pound I gained. Every bit of food I could hold on to, was another bit of nourishment for my little Bud. Every pound gained was a signal that my body was not working against me on purpose. The rounder my tummy got, the more I loved it. Growing a human is beautiful. Period!

Ah, then he was born. A few weeks after Baby Namastè's birth, I was finally able to eat (and enjoy my food) again. So I have! I eat what I want, when I am hungry, and stop when I am satisfied.

Instead of watching the scale, I watched my milk stash grow. I watched my little tiny baby grow. I watched his awareness grow, watched every milestone from the first smile to the first steps.

Now I am ready to watch some milestones for me. This body has carried and delivered a human. This body has nourished a human!

This body deserved to be loved for that.

So I did. I love the new me. My new vessel! I love the softer curves. I love the fuller hips. I love the rear view. I love the cleavage. I love filling out outfits and dresses I couldn't wear before! I love how Hubby Namastè looks at me with such...I'm not sure. Admiration? It's a look, sometimes a double take, that makes me fall for him all over again.

Because I love my new vessel, I want it in top shape.

My fitness goal is not to be insta-thin.

I instead will focus in building strength in my core, toning my tummy, and building my endurance. (I used to hike anywhere from five to ten miles at a clip--I would not attempt that just yet because I need to rebuild my stamina.)

I'm not sure I'll join a gym, but I'm definitely gonna be doing some aerobics, walking, swimming, and yoga.

As far as diet, I don't believe in deprivation. If I want the cake, I'm going to have a slice. Thankfully my normal diet is really solid (I have a vegetarian husband and a tendency to like healthy foods anyway), so I won't bother that.

All in all, I just want some strengthening and toning, and I can achieve that fairly easily. Not quickly--easily.

Another thing I want to be very mindful of is that I won't expect instant results. I won't get a six-pack overnight. I won't be able to do that ten-mile hike on the Silver Comet Trail just yet, but I will in a few weeks.

I love my vessel, so even as I am disciplining and training it, I will not abuse it with fads, magic tea trends, or crash diets. Instead I will work with a realistic goal in mind to strengthen, tone, and rebuild the stamina I lost.

The first fit goal?

Glad you asked!

I am 5'4 and currently weigh 148.2. I think for my first month, I'll whittle down to 145 and work on making 3 consecutive laps around my end of the subdivision without a break. (That is 3.6 miles--the lap I designed is 1.2 miles.)

I'm off now to do a bit of yoga. The stretching feels divine and I have to get going on these goals now so they won't become wish-I-dids.

What are your fit goals?

Tell me about them!

Namastè!

-- Tayè K. ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment