Thursday, November 15, 2018

MLM? NOO.

Namastè,  all.

Today I got asked a new question!

"Why are you so against MLM companies? Don't you think people moms should support each other?"

Because I'm pretty vocal about my disdain for MLM companies, I decided that one deserved a fair shake. After all, I don't spout things I'm not willing to expound on, and since it is a fairly regular topic (especially this time of year) I played ball.

Why am I against multilevel marketing companies?

Because they suck.

Do I think moms should support each other?

Of course.

Unconvinced,  my friend pressed harder.

So I caved.

Here are those reasons, in list form.

1. They are annoying.

I really don't want to sound rude, but those sales pitches are annoying as heck. No, Susan, I am not interested in paying *insert amount* to *insert next latest rage in MLM* to secure a spot next to you on this bench in Target, harassing the heck outta people who likely did not come to Target of all places to be sold a dream. I most likely just came to escape responsibility for a moment; the paper towels, tissue, detergent, and assorted clearance items in my basket are just incidental. *chuckles*

2. I have never met a person, as in been in the physical presence of a person, who had actually made the six figures from MLM.

NOPE. Those unicorns only exist in conventions and recruiting scripts. Although I did meet a guy from Primerica one time who claimed he was some double important marketing leader. He said he was making the six figures and had vacation homes all over Georgia.

Yeah, I thought so too.

But it was nice chatting with him and his quarter-important assistant, who had achieved four figures and secured national brands in her grocery cart versus the generic stuff.

I even gave them my jumper cables when their '87 Honda Accord beat-around refused to crank in my driveway. Didn't even flinch over the river of oil they left behind.

3. They saturate social media to the point 3 of any 7 posts are trying to sell you a commitment. Not a product, a commitment.

I like my blog's reach. I legitimately have readers all over the world, and my Insta gives me a quick way to interact without too much hassle for them or me. I can comment their photos and kinda share in their lives just as they share in mine when they read or subscribe my blog.

But those MLM posts?

Go away. They're always the same--paint a picture of how this product changed your entire life, then sell it to me. (I get this part.) But then! AFTER you've hooked me for the 99.95 per month subscription, offer me a discount. (Now I'm not only hooked but practically typing in my payment info; I want this thing!) Tayè, is what we call, GOT.

Then you ruin it all by turning the life-changing product into a darn recruiting position. Your pretty IG picture with the epic smile and filter, and inspiring caption, just went all the way sour. I would have bought that thing but you turned a happy purchase into an entire commitment. Why? Why couldn't you let me treat myself?! Tayè is now, what we call, pissed.

4. They make the already-terse mom social-scape even more a minefield than it already is.

I purposely avoid these people, and I'm not ashamed or timid to admit that fact. While I fully support humans in supporting themselves, I'm not interested in joining the downline. Period. I will purchase from you, directly, no subscription. However I will not feed into a cash cow from which you will only ever taste but meager droplets of milk.

People take this sentiment rather personally. They assume that your lack of interest in their endeavor, is a lack of interest in them. WRONG-O.

When I lived in Douglasville, I had an opportunity to meet a wonderful, vibrant-spirited friend. She was sweet and her energy was just contagious. I loved her! I just knew we'd be friends for life.

*other shoe drops*

She started in with her pitch and at first, I LISTENED. I actually gave her a fair shot to see why she was so passionate about this company. It was important to her, so it was important to me to see her vision. (Aha! See, I bet you came into this looking for proof that I'm a jerk--worry, wrong chick.) I sat with her a while, over coffee and cake, and we actually discussed this Primerica thing. Not because I was thinking about it, but because she confided that her metrics were struggling and she needed some encounters.

Not only were the metrics struggling, but so was my sweet friend. Unfortunately she fell for the hype after "earning' her way to a convention. (I wish Hubby's job took us to Disney--we just get a catered meal or a picnic on the quad. Not too shabby, but Disney it is not.) She gave up her job to chase this, but realistically sales is fast or feast, and her feast period simply wasn't happening. Which brings me to the next thing...

5. THE "EMPLOYEES" OFTEN DON'T MAKE ENOUGH ONLY TO SURVIVE, from this job alone.

Y'all, I've been a single mom. (Wasn't born, married--and I certainly didn't have the opportunities then that I have now!) I know if someone presented me an opportunity to be home with my daughter even part time and still bring home the bacon, I'd jump at it.

However, the time spent in training, plus the time spent shadowing your upline, is unpaid. The time spent promoting your product online, isn't paid. There is no financial gain unless you make the sale--many times. (In my friend's scenario, the commission from her sales, the ones she pounced the pavement to secure, trickled down to no less than 5 people before she ever saw a cent!) You've taken days worth of hours to simply get started, shelling out precious funds (the additional childcare alone...oy!) as well as time you'll never get back,  WHILE not getting a salary! Other people are taking bites from your slice of the pie before it even reaches your table.

Now things are falling behind. Your family is suffering. You don't have the financial boost the company so  promised. Nah. You're even farther in the proverbial hole than when you started. Or perhaps you've decided the entire program is just too much for too little. It happens all the time, although these companies won't tell you that. They are actually very secretive about fail rates and...

6. They LIE.

These companies feed a great line about starting your own business, which you then repeat to everyone within earshot--except it isn't starting a business. The business is already well-established and you are now the next generation or wave of peons feeding it. You're paying to become a contractor of theirs. You file a 1099 form for taxes (independent contractor form). You work all these hours, yet have no benefits, your salary is commission only, and you aren't even an employee outright.

In Georgia it costs $100 to file articles of incorporation as an LLC. If you are enterprising and have the entrepreneurial bug, start a legit business. You'll work long hours without pay at first, and nothing is ever guaranteed, but isn't that better than paying to affiliate yourself with a company that does nothing for you?

...

I feel irritated when I'm approached with MLM because I make it clear that I'm not interested...and they usually keep trying. Keep pressing. Keep selling. While I can appreciate a good sales tactic, I don't like the guilting and cajoling. I don't like you using your conditional job to jab at people with real ones under the guise of riches you're not even close to seeing.

Can I make my Target run, or check my inbox, or scroll my feed, without it for a day or two? Can I rest?

More importantly, can you not try to connect with me for recruiting purposes? (I'm not interested in your downline or anyone else's.)

I'll buy your leggings or whatever because they're cute. I'll buy them if they aren't cute, because it's you! I want you to be as mom boss as possible, because I rock like that and so do you.

I can support you without joining you.

Just my thoughts.

Be agreeable to my sentiments OR mad enough to tell me off on my FB, IG, or good old-fashioned email.

No comments:

Post a Comment