Tuesday, November 13, 2018

PLEASE STOP Passing This Tip Around...

So...as you know, I'm a breastfeeding and pumping mama.

I pump many times a day, so any time I come across a tip or hack to make those sessions easier, I'm usually all aboard to try it. If it works, I pass it along to other moms.

One in particular irks me.

Pumping is time consuming. Exclusive pumping mamas have the added responsibility of cleaning/sterilizing bottles and pump kits in addition to feeding baby and all the parts parcel to that.

You'll be tired, needless to say, and wanting to save any time possible.

The worst tip I ever read regarding time saving?

"Refrigerate your pump kit between sessions to save time during the day or night. Just pump as usual, then put your pump kit in a freezer bag in the fridge until you need it again."

...ewww.

Theoretically it sounds ok. If there's milk in the flange, it won't go bad because it's cold. The kit is in a bag, which could be considered a semi-sterile environment.

But BECAUSE pumping is so challenging, and breastmilk is so precious, I feel a little more diligence is in order. You work hard to get those ounces! Also, because many moms who pump, do so to either effect a better supply or because for whatever reason they cannot/do not feed at the breast, it seems pointless to cut a corner that might potentially render your milk unpotable. (I.E., baby cannot consume it because it's been compromised.)

I'm sure everyone knows someone who does it and everything turns out fine. (Isn't that the base defense for most if not all "left of good" practices?)

Think about it this way.

That flange and bottle, touch your baby's milk. That milk goes right to your baby. You clean and sterilize every other thing your baby uses (I hope)--wouldn't something regarding their food be at the top of the list to be fastidious about?

Would you feed your baby from a bottle and then, to save washing time, just pop that bottle in the fridge to reuse a few more times? Would you be okay with your caregiver doing this? If you received donor milk, wouldn't you cringe a bit or seek other accommodations entirely in the name of protecting your little one from bacteria? (Looking at some of the requests in my donor groups and message boards, I KNOW you wouldn't--those requests are so specific sometimes, it's almost comical, and cleanliness SHOULD be at the top of that list because the first thing people skeeve at with donor milk is that they believe it's somehow gross.)

(Full term or not, does not matter.)

I know it's a lot of work, because it's work that I personally do. In addition to pumping for my littlest two, I am a milk donor. I wouldn't dare send out milk that had not been pumped and stored in the cleanest possible conditions. I clean, sterilize, and replace (when needed) because l believe in guarding my milk like the treasure it is.

That likely sounds drastic, but the milk goes to babies. Babies need clean, safe food just like anyone else.

Some shortcuts aren't worth it.

...and to end on a positive, there is one pump kit shortcut I employ: Keep at least two complete kits (in my case, 4) for each pump. When I'm pressed for time or need a breather, I toss one in the dishwasher and have another at the ready for backup. I don't have to wash immediately after use but still have a clean kit at the ready for my next sessions!

If that's out of price range, just keep some Medela QuickClean wipes or spray in your pump bag for quick cleanups. They remove milk residue from parts as well as bacteria, and they are alcohol free. While it doesn't absolve the responsibility of the cleaning task entirely, it makes it much quicker. Hence, a timesaver.

Just make sure you hit those parts with some soap and water, y'all. It's not that big a deal. The few minutes you save by not washing the parts in between sessions equate to not even an hour a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment