Thursday, June 27, 2019

Pump Tips!

Namastè!

So...as you know I'm a pumping mama. (Three years and counting for two babies, give me my propssss!)

Many times, I share pics and posts and the number one thing I'm asked is, "How do you do it?!"
Pumping is hard work. Unlike breastfeeding, you aren't attached to your baby. It's a machine, and it's a weird feeling. It's not exactly the stuff brelfies are made of, know what I mean?

But I have some tips and a hack or two to make it a little better.

1. BE CONSISTENT.

While yu needn't have a set time and duration for each sesh, you di need to be consistent. I always set my pump seshes around how my babies ate. Tiger Lily, for example, is a 12-3-6-9 eater. She's always been really punctual about it too. So, after her nursing sesh, I pump. Or I'll let Hubby give her a bottle and pump while he feeds her.

2. BE FLEXIBLE.

You have to be willing to concede a wish or two sometimes. The ultimate goal is feeding baby, even if it doesn't go exactly as you envision.

3. GET GUIDANCE.

Even as an exclusive pumper, we can still benefit greatly from a consultation with an LC.

4. Don't get taken in by the latest trends.

You don't need teas, cookies, special diets, or certain Gatorades to produce milk. You just need consistency and determination.

5. Consider a hand pump.

I own two manual pumps--a Medela Harmony and my favorite, the Haakaa.

I can't really think of much more, because there's not any magic involved and the only way to have a good pumping experience is to create it. You orchestrate how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment