Thursday, September 8, 2016

Baby, Baby, Baby...Namastè ♡

Namastè!

As you may know, Baby Namastè is six months old. That's six months of having a baby after years of rarely being around them!

Things have changed a lot. For one, when Princess Namastè was born, babies spent time in the nursery unless it was specifically declined. (I did.) Baby Namastè was only whisked away for one test, and Dad Namastè was right with him. He was immediately brought back to the room for me to fawn over.

The biggest difference has been in the multitude of different options available--home birth, birthing center, or hospital? Circumcise or no? Breastfeed or bottle? And for every decision a new moon and dad tick off, there will be someone to try and sway you differently.

I'm a studier. I read medical journals and studies. I keep my finger on the pulse of the different parenting trends. I'm in the know, I'm hip.

Alas, everything threw me for a loop with Baby Namastè. As early as my second appointment, I was being blindsided by doctors suggesting different tests and different avenues of treatment for my hyperemesis, followed just a few short appointments later by being offered more testing than I could even consider and setting up my appointments for the rest of the journey WHILE I was still "basking" in the first trimester. Basking in the first trimester is totally a thing by the way--hubby and I were so over the moon & had hyperemesis not reared its cruel head, we probably would have giggled ourselves into the next stratosphere.

I'm not that mama who wants every test. I like ultrasounds but didn't want extra. I did the standard blood work and usual urinalysis, but that was all.

I'm not against the plethora of options and different spins we can have. I just preferred to keep the pokes and prods to a minimum, and let my body do its mysterious work. I wanted to revel in the process workout dissecting it too much. Pregnancy is one of the last bis of magic left.

...but this is my thought. I encourage moms to take advantage of every option that appeals to them!!! YOU are writing this birth story. You only control a small bit, but you have the right to rock and roll that small bit. Happily, I can say I did just that.

Namastè!

- Tayè K.

No comments:

Post a Comment