Sunday, November 20, 2016

Cloth Diaper Adventures!

Namastè!

I hope you're all basking in this finally autumnal weather! I'm chuffed as pie myself. The fever has broken and aside from an achy chest and a barking cough, I'm feeling ALIVE again!

I call Baby Namastè my experimental baby.

Princess Namastè spent her first year of life in and out of the hospital due to her lungs. Asthma and pneumonia stole an unfair amount of my time with her in the early weeks and months. (That's why she's spoiled now--I give her so much because when she was so tiny and helpless, I felt like I was not able to give her enough!)

But Baby Namastè's been all mine from the start. So I'm not ashamed to own up to the fact that the things I missed out on with Princess, I try to catch with him.

I always wanted to try cloth diapers. Hubby Namastè's encouraged me to do whatever I see fit with regards to the kids--he is on board with my kooky parenting style and I couldn't be more thankful for that. As an added bonus, Brother Namastè (my favorite brother and the kids' favorite uncle) is always willing to make a store run when Hubby Namastè is away and I spawn a scheme or two.

Just imagine the conversation.

"Honeybunch, I want to try something new with the baby." *bats eyes*

"That's okay. Do you need supplies?"

I love my parenting journey even more because my partner is awesome. I unabashedly adore my team, even if it's not conventional. (Most moms are closer to their sisters, but I am closer to my brother.) It definitely helps my confidence.

I digress.

I'm so into cloth diapering. I love the patterns and prints. I love how soft they are. I love how Baby Namastè looks so comfortable in them. (I don't love the cleanup--but I don't love that part of disposables either!)

Note: I don't scoff or turn my nose up at any parenting style! My own is a mashup of practices from different styles on the spectrum, so please don't take my experience or opinion as a gauge to measure your own. Remember, most of you can eat avocado and strawberries--but if I go out and do the same, I may literally die because I am dangerously allergic. NEVER be afraid or ashamed to make your own choices but do look into different options because you might find a new niche!

I decided to try my hand at making our own cloth diapers last night. I'm pretty handy with the sewing machine, but I wasn't feeling up to that so I decided to go with a fleece no-sew. I'd share a pattern...but I didn't use one. *insert maniacal chuckle*

Basically, I cut my baby's size in some fleece and that was the outside, the shell. I used black. (I had some left from a blanket I made for him, which turned out so cute and I'll show you in another post or over on IG!)

The liner is the basic trifold. I used fleece again, but I also used a disposable liner because I didn't trust my prototype diaper's absorbency.

Once I got everything together, I pinned it on Baby Namastè and crossed my fingers. Cloth diapers are great, but since this one was homemade I wasn't sure it'd be on par with the ones we purchased. (This wasn't our first rodeo with cloth--just homemade cloth.) I have never been able to pin them smooth, where they lay like a disposable, but I got it secured which is the important thing I guess.



I'm a brazen momma. I was so chuffed about how well the diaper held up (and held the goop IN) after 3 changes that I decided Baby Namastè should sleep in it. He was so comfortable after his bath, playing with his toys while sporting the homemade cloth diaper that I figured, why not?

Before bed...



He woke up dry!!! (Well, the outside of the diaper was dry. Of course he piddled.) There was no wet spot in the bed. Sucess!!!



I will be checking out some patterns today to sew some as well. I still have a stash of disposables, but I'm all for using cloth around the house because they're cute. I have time to deal with the cleaning, and I'm so appreciative of the chance to try different things with him.

If you're more inclined to try some pre-made cloth diapers, I recommend these.

I'm off to see what else I can create without moving too much. I'm finally beginning to feel a bit of relief. Pneumonia is horrid--my chest feels like someone took a jackhammer to it and I can't even think without triggering a coughing spell. I'm feeling some relief though--I must stress that. This is Peachy compared to those days last week with the 103 temp and not being able to snuggle Kids Namastè! I'm MUCH better, just have a ways to go before I'm at 100 percent.

Namastè!

-- Tayè K. ♡

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to try cloth diapers! I'm not sure I'd enjoy the cleanup though. Lol!

    ReplyDelete