Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Sometimes Mommy Just Needs A Bath. Alone!

Namastè!

I hope you're experiencing copious amounts thereof.

As I mentioned earlier, I am experiencing a bout of mommy burnout. I have been physically drained today, just tired for no reason. It happens sometimes, and I finally have enough sense (and support!) to sit myself down.

Tonight I had a glorious hot bath. I used my fancy soap and the good smelling shampoo, and finished with that luxe conditioner that gives me movie star hair.

I didn't have any interruption--but I expected it.

In Casa Namastè, I am the one who fields most of the childcare. I work, and I write, but my three time blasters combined don't equal Hubby Namastè's work load, so I bear the brunt of the homestead's chores. I cook, I clean, and I look after the tiny kissy monsters we call children, and I love it. I am legitimately happy to not need a daycare of after school program for them, although I do keep that after school thing on speed dial in case I need emergency me-time.

Mommy'ing is hard work, y'all.

Kids Namastè are not terrible. They are polite and adorable, and they try to be independent.

...but they are children. *chuckle* They are little children.

So most times when I am trying to sit down and catch my breath, a kid comes along and needs a snuggle. A sippy cup. A nursey session. I oblige, because these days are fleeting and they are my little muffin cheeks.

But at night sometimes I just don't have the energy for one more story, one more song.

Those are the evenings I get them squared away, then retire to my tub. Baths are life.

Sometimes they find me. I hear little knocks on the door. The plaintive "Mommy?" from behind the door. Now that Baby Namastè is mobile I am likely to see his little fingers trying to reach me from under the door.

They tug at me. *sighs*

If it isn't absolutely dire that I have those few minutes, if I am not so mentally drained that the extra story or song will send me into Mom Stasis, I oblige. After all, these days are fleeting. Soon they won't want a story or a song, and the sweet "Mommy?" will turn into the exasperated "ma-hotherrrrr" of the teen or preteen I am oppressing at that moment. (There will be oppression, unfortunately. And they will buck said oppression. Unbeknownst to them, I will win. Mommy must always win that battle, as it effects obedient, productive little people. They will thank me later.)

I temper my tired, cranky self with that truth and it helps me get through those moments. Sometimes a kid will ask, "Are you okay?" That further keeps me in check. Although they are little kissy monsters with super annoying powers, they are little sweethearts. They are concerned, and they see when my mood breaks or I am more tired than usual. So I just pick my chin up, adjust my attitude, and say,

"Mommy just needs a bath. Alone."

But when I emerge, there will be stories and songs...and snuggles. 

Namastè!

-- Tayè K. ♡

1 comment:

  1. Yassssss! Having a bath is by far my favorite relaxing, me time!

    ReplyDelete