Thursday, November 24, 2016

What's In A Name?

Namastè!

I hope you're all basking in the 'itis after a wonderful day of food, family, and fellowship.

As much as I share here about Baby Namastè, I have never spoken his name.

It isn't the usual, l-don't-want-others-to-have-his-name foolery. We don't own it, and we are not so jaded that we think that, by not revealing it, it will stay magical. No. His name will be, regardless. I doubt we will run into very many stateside.

Our family has deep Tamil and West Indian roots. After a slight hiccup in customs regarding surnames, Hubby Namastè and I followed the Tamil tradition of names after marriage. (After marriage the wife takes her husband's first name as her surname. The children follow suit. It is how each branch of  family establishes a legacy.) Needless to say, I wasn't able to logically name Baby Namastè, junior or the second. He would be Double K Junior. *chuckle*

We decided to go with naming him after his uncle, who sadly passed away a few months before he was born. That name resonated with me and I loved it's cadence. It means "rising sun" in Tamil.

Baby Namastè IS our "rising son." He is bright, he lights up our lives, he's the fire in our sky. He reminds his dad of a childhood spent with his brother, as he takes on traits of the uncle he never met. When we compare their photos, we can see the resemblance there and it's more than a passing similarity.

His middle name, Ajani, means "He who wins the struggle."

I'm not a martyr, nor do I like to rehash my worst days for teachable moments or illustration. Suffice it to say, he definitely won the struggle. Hyperemesis coupled with the stress of literally losing everything made for a very difficult gestation. Thankfully he arrived as healthy as could be, our little frank breech wonder boy.

While a lot of thought went into Baby Namastè's name, we didn't obsess over it. If we couldn't find one that we liked beforehand, we knew we would select a fitting moniker when we met him.

He's always looked like his name. It fits him. It suits his little self to a tee and I honestly couldn't imagine calling him anything else.

Namastè!

-- Tayè K. ♡

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful story. Lainey's name means "torch;bright light." So similar. They really ARE twins!

    ReplyDelete