Thursday, November 3, 2016

We Got A Goody Box! (Courtesy of Fairhaven Health)

Namastè!

May your night be filled with great rest and wonderful dreams. Or if you are awake like me, may you enjoy a great read. (I've got you covered!)

I received a wonderful package from Fairhaven Health last week to review. (Extra special thanks to Sarah D. for pulling out all the stops.) While the products for this review were provided, all opinions are mine and mine alone.

Fairhaven Health is the distributor of the Milkies line of breastfeeding products. They have everything for the journey, from the Milk-saver to the milk trays to the only nursing tea this mama has ever tasted that didn't leave me hugging the porcelain bowl.

As luck would have it, I received this package in the beginning of my move. I didn't have my creature comforts so this box was more than welcome, especially the tray. I received the Milk-saver, the milk trays, the nipple balm, breastmilk storage bags, and the nursing time tea. I also got some amazing pamphlets, which my mommy group loved. We all devour information. 

I digress. Here's everything I got:


I love the purple packaging. 

Brass tacks--the first thing I tore into was the breastmilk storage bags. I pump many times a day (between 6 and 8) and I like pumping straight into the bags when possible. 



I was and am very impressed. The bags hold 6 ounces. The double seal is tangible-I could feel the clicks. What I really found groovy about the bags is that the breastmilk storage guidelines are printed on each bag! I essentially have it memorized, but that feature will be very useful for Hubby Namastè (who puts the milkies in the freezer for me) OR any novice milkies parent who is still learning the ropes.

I have been stressed to the max with Baby Namastè's teething. As he is nursing, he bites sometimes. I don't believe it's intentional at all, but it's definitely painful. And between the pump, the baby, and the little pegs, I have been sore. Enter, the Milkies Nipple Nurture Balm. 


I'm not a huge fan of lanolin. Baby Namastè refuses to nurse if I use it, so I generally steer clear whenever possible. This nipple balm doesnt have a hint of lanolin. It has no animal products period! And... *drumroll*... it is organic. The only thing I noticed about this balm is that it seems to remain in a viscous liquid state, like honey. But for as well as it works, it could be nipple nurture water and I would still keep a jar around. I was quite sore but within four applications over two days, I was a-okay again. (Still pumping the exact same number of times, still feeding my little piranha on demand.) 

The other issue I was having was being worried about a dip in my supply. Enter, nursing time tea. I was pretty stressed with the move, and many things were just not going as planned, which left me distressed, aggravated, and (as most mommas do when we're in a bad headspace) a little frantic about my supply because I wasn't able to keep my schedule.


I've never used a galactagogue, aside from foods I eat that apparently effect good milk production. I had tasted nursing tea a few times and couldn't even swallow because it tasted horrid to me. (I don't care for black licorice and that's what fennel tastes like. Ugh!) This tea doesn't taste like licorice. It tastes like lemon and a mixture of aromatic herbs. While skeptical, I knew it couldn't hurt to try. If it could boost supply, great. If it could just maintain what I had, great. I didn't have any expectation so I wouldn't be disappointed either way. Besides, it tasted good and I almost always have tea before bed anyway!

The tea is loose leaf (my preferred!).


....you will need either tea filters (tea bags) or a tea ball. I prefer a tea ball.


I drank the tea once a day for a week straight before I noticed a definite boost.

NOTE: A tea is not a miracle tincture. You will still need to empty your "b'reservoirs" either by pumping or by nursing. Galactagogues effect the production of the horomones necessary to make milk--but your body will not make increased supply if there is not increased demand. Read: You can't just drink some tea and be filled to overflowing in five minutes.

I had a favorable response, and I've maintained my usual. I even gained about 6 ounces per day. I don't drink it every day now, for the record. Every other day is good enough for me. If it didn't work so well I'd have a cuppa every day because it tastes so nice!

With the supply maintenance and increase came of course, more milk. As Baby Namastè nursed on one side, the other would leak. No worries. I also got this:


The Milk-saver catches any milk that drips while nursing, and that milk can then be poured into a bag or bottle for feeding later. It is BPA free and made of medical grade silicone. It comes with a plastic storing case. It was not uncomfortable to use, and I felt a lot better having his milkies drip into this than wasting it in a nursing pad. Let me tell you--any lost milk is tragic. I may or may not be using hyperbole.

Lastly, I received a Milk Trays. Think ice tray, but made for freezing little one-ounce portions of milkies. (Or if your baby is teething like my baby is, foodsicles--one-ounce portions of baby food frozen to soothe those achy gums!) 


Baby Namastè's only recently begun drinking cold milkies. We have an amazing warmer, so he hasn't ever had to have a cold milkies meal. He loves when I drop a milkiesicle in his bottle, especially now that he is getting those front top teeth. He also raves about his little foodsicles, especially fruit. We puree mango or sweet potato, then pop it in the freezer for a bit. Then he gets his delicious, nutritious cold treat.

I was thrilled to receive this amazing package and everything inside has been great! I don't trust just any breastfeeding products but these are top notch. I'm going to order more when I run low. 

Do check out this website for Fairhaven Health's complete inventory and this website for even more information on Milkies. 

I hope this is helpful as you forge ahead in your own breastfeeding journey! 

Namastè!

-- Tayè K. ♡

2 comments:

  1. I finally got a moment to check and see if I missed any blogs lately ND found dead this beauty! Oh how I wish my financial situation were better right now. I would definitely be buying some of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to order mine. I have been eyeballing this product for a while. I'm so glad to read your review.

    ReplyDelete